The Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPPA) places new requirements on school districts, vendors and the Illinois State Board of Education effective July 1, 2021.
These requirements are additional guarantees that student data is protected when being collected and is only used for beneficial purposes only.
What does this mean for parents?
- Increased transparency
- More protection of student data
- Ability to inspect and review vendor disclosures in regards to student data.
- Data breach notification
What does this mean for the district?
- Requiring vendors to sign contracts to ensure compliance with SOPPA
- Posting of information for the public
- Ensure compliance is being maintained